Boggo Road and Joe Baker Street - temporary traffic changes
To progress construction activities for the new Cross River Rail Boggo Road station, the roundabout at the corner of Boggo Road and Joe Baker Street will be removed, and the eastern section of Boggo Road and Joe Baker Street will temporarily become one-way to traffic.
Work to remove the roundabout and implement a temporary one-way traffic change will be carried out from Monday 9 March 2020 and is expected to take about four weeks to complete, weather and site conditions permitting.
Works will include:
- Removal of vegetation near the Ecosciences Precinct building on the corner of Boggo Road and Joe Baker Street. All efforts will be made to retain as much vegetation as possible.
- Removing the existing line marking and sections of the kerb and footpath
- Removal of four car parks on the western side of Joe Baker Street near Boggo Road, for the duration of construction activities
- Constructing new kerbs and pedestrian footpath
- Installing line marking, fencing, traffic signage and traffic barriers.
Temporary footpath changes
During these works pedestrians will be temporarily diverted to the walkway between Ecosciences and Boggo Road Goal. At completion of these works, pedestrians will use the existing footpath on the western side of Joe Baker Street.
Works will be undertaken between 6.30am and 6.30pm Monday to Saturday, however some night works may be required. If works are scheduled out of hours or at night, we will provide further information prior to the work starting.
What to expect
During this work, nearby businesses and residents can expect:
- An increase in noise, dust and vibration. These impacts will be reduced as much as possible.
- The use of construction equipment such as high-pressure water blasting machines, road saws, vacuum excavators, jackhammers, concrete trucks, compaction equipment, line marking equipment, hand tools, mobile equipment and survey equipment.
- Temporary changed traffic conditions and minor traffic delays. Traffic control will be in place where required to maintain the safety of road users, the community and workers.
Work is subject to relevant approvals and suitable weather conditions. Every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum for residents and businesses near the project site.
Final temporary layout
The map below shows the layout of Boggo Road when the traffic changes are complete, which is expected to be early April 2020.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: