Around Our Work Sites
With the implementation of appropriate social distancing measures and personal hygiene protocols at each worksite to ensure the safety of workers, work has been able to continue at all of our construction sites during the COVID-19 pandemic and we have been able to ensure continued progress of our Project.
Updates from around our worksites up to 20 December include:
- Tunnel Boring Machines (tunnelling north from Woolloongabba): TBM Else and TBM Merle have both now travelled approximately 3,800 metres each, while installing over 2,000 precast concrete rings each.
- Roadheaders 1 and 2 (tunnelling south from Woolloongabba) have completed their excavation of 865 metres and 870 metres respectively, having broken through into the Boggo Road station cavern.
- You can see the full journey on our TBM Tracker page.
- At Boggo Road, station box excavation is complete (141,500 cubic metres of spoil removed), as is excavation of the northern cavern tunnel bulk. The station build also progressed, with 16% of in situ concrete now laid and 18% of reinforcements installed.
- At Woolloongabba, back of house fit out works in the southern cavern have commenced. In the station box, four of seven level pours have been completed.
- At Albert Street, station box excavation is 69% complete (31,535 cubic metres). Roadheader top heading tunnelling has been completed, and at the northern station entrance, excavation is underway with 7,123 cubic metres (37%) of spoil removed so far.
- At Roma Street, total station cavern excavation is complete (91,713 cubic metres). In the station box, benches 13-15 of 15 have been excavated, and retention works are ongoing. At the Services Building, excavation has been completed, while rock bolt installation is 98% complete.
- At Exhibition, piling works are completed (38 of 38). Eight of nine piers have been installed, and 88% of the retaining wall has been completed.
- At the Southern Portal, 404 (of 572) piles have been installed, and capping beam pours are ongoing with 688 of 1,015 lineal metres completed so far. Micro-tunnelling works are 59% complete, with the third and fourth drive now finished.
- At Northern Portal, the concrete pour for the TBM extraction slab is complete. Permanent capping beam pours are now 95% complete, and placement of the precast roof deck on capping beams is 67% complete (160 of 240).
- At Mayne Yard, the Graffiti Removal Building’s footings have been completed, while the flooring and 85% of roofing for the Rail Traffic Crew Building has been installed.
- At Clapham Yard, demolition works are complete, while earthworks are ongoing (130,000 cubic metres of imported fill has arrived to site).
Salisbury to Fairfield
- At Yeronga, 98% of screw piles for platforms have been installed so far (253 of 259).
The Gold Coast
- Pimpama site establishment early works have been completed, with station early works now underway.
- Community consultation on detailed design for Hope Island and Merrimac stations is now complete.
Check out the videos and galleries below to see just how much is changing at some of our larger worksites.