Around Our Work Sites
With the implementation of appropriate social distancing measures and personal hygiene protocols at each worksite to ensure the safety of workers, work has been able to continue at all of our construction sites during the COVID-19 pandemic and we have been able to ensure continued progress of our Project.
Updates from around our worksites up to 15 October include:
- Tunnel Boring machines (tunnelling north from Woolloongabba): TBM Else has excavated more than 3,372 metres while installing 1,768 precast concrete rings, and TBM Merle has excavated more than 2,971 metres while installing 1,547 precast concrete rings. Both TBMs have relaunched from the Roma Street cavern and recommenced installing precast segments.
- Roadheaders 1 and 2 (tunnelling south from Woolloongabba) have completed their excavation of 865 metres and 870 metres respectively, having broken through into the Boggo Road station cavern.
- You can stay up to date with a tunnelling progress on the TBM Tracker page.
- At Boggo Road, station box excavation is complete (141,500 cubic metres of spoil removed), as is excavation of the northern cavern tunnel bulk. Permanent works on station reinforcement and formwork is ongoing.
- At Woolloongabba, permanent lining works at the southern cavern continue, with seven of 11 permanent arch lining pours have been completed. In the station box, two of seven level pours have been completed.
- At Albert Street, station box excavation is 57% complete (25,045 cubic metres). Roadheader tunnelling continues in the station cavern, with the north heading now 90% complete. At the northern station entrance, excavation is underway with 5,638 cubic metres (29%) of spoil removed so far.
- At Roma Street, total station cavern excavation is complete (91,713 cubic metres). In the station box, benches six-to-eight of 15 have been excavated, and retention works are ongoing. At the Services Building, excavation of benches 13-15 of 15 continues, while rock bolt installation is 87% complete.
- At Exhibition, works on the Western viaduct walls continue. Seven of nine piers have been installed, and 85% of the superstructure falsework has been completed.
- At the Southern Portal, 355 (out of 533) piles have been installed, and capping beam pours are ongoing with 654 of 1015 lineal metres completed so far. Micro-tunnelling works have also continued, with the third drive now underway (13.5m of 204m).
- At Northern Portal, excavation of the TBM extraction box is now complete (3,000 cubic metres of spoil removed). Permanent capping beam pours continue, with 85% completed, and placement of the precast roof deck on capping beams is 16% complete (40 out of 240).
- At Mayne Yard, the Rail Traffic Crew Building structural steel is 100% complete, while 1,672 cubic metres of concrete for the load transfer platform has been placed.
- At Clapham Yard, earthworks and demolition work continues (115,720 cubic metres of imported fill has arrived to site).
Salisbury to Fairfield
- At Yeronga, 96% of screw piles for platforms have been installed so far (248 of 259).
The Gold Coast
- Pimpama site establishment early works have commenced.
- Community consultation on detailed design for Hope Island station is now complete.
- Community consultation for Merrimac station detailed design is scheduled to occur within 2021.
Check out the videos and galleries below to see just how much is changing at some of our larger worksites.