Cross River Rail is working with the Department of Transport and Main Roads to plan and deliver three new stations at Pimpama, Helensvale North, and Merrimac/Worongary on the Gold Coast line.View Station
Cross River Rail is transforming the way we travel across all of South East Queensland. The Cross River Rail Delivery Authority is continuing with planning of three new rail stations on the Gold Coast Line to help connect South East Queensland’s growing population. Stations are being planned for Pimpama, Helensvale North and Merrimac.
The design for Merrimac station is currently being refined following consultation undertaken on the concept design in October 2019.
Feedback on the detailed design will be used to inform the final design for construction.
Early investigations commenced in January 2021 which included geotechnical works, surveys, utility identification and environmental studies including heritage, flora and fauna. The investigations and key outcomes include:
- Flora and fauna surveys found no recorded threatened species at the station sites
- Flood and surface water modelling indicates the proposed designs will not impact stormwater drainage, flood and surface water levels
- Noise monitoring was undertaken to inform management strategies
- Geotechnical assessments were undertaken to confirm ground conditions.
Benefits for Merrimac
Merrimac station will provide the local community with greater access to convenient rail services; expanding options for easy travel within the Gold Coast, as well as to Brisbane.
The new stations will feature:
- Onsite parking and passenger drop-off facilities
- Connections to pedestrian and cycle paths
- Key accessible features such as parking, wayfinding signage and platform access
- Integration with the current public transport network and
- Improvements to nearby intersections
- Lighting and CCTV throughout car park and station
The Merrimac station will be located on Gooding Drive, approximately 750 metres east of the Pacific Motorway and Gooding Drive Interchange (Exit 77) and is scheduled to be open in time for the first Cross River Rail services to the Gold Coast.
Get involved and have your say
Once detailed designs are complete, community drop-in sessions will be scheduled to enable you to meet the team, ask questions and provide face-to-face feedback on the Merrimac station. Residents and businesses will be notified well in advance of the consultation period.