Merrimac station construction update - March 2024
Fulton Hogan has been awarded the contract to design and build Merrimac station.
Early works and site establishment activities are underway at Merrimac station, ahead of major construction starting in the coming months.
From March 2024, site establishment works will be ongoing within the eastern and western railway reserves.
Works will be undertaken between 7:00am to 5:00pm, Monday to Saturday.
Works will include:
- Establishment of temporary site facilities, site offices and worker facilities, including parking at the western and eastern sides of the rail reserve
- Ongoing site access track construction
- Ongoing pre-construction condition inspections of property, utilities and infrastructure
- Ongoing surveying of the site and public utilities, pit excavations, conduit trenching and environmental monitoring
- Vegetation clearing to accommodate for future works, in accordance with all relevant approvals, with fauna spotter / catchers in attendance
- Please note from April 2024, major construction activities are planned to commence.
Rail corridor works
From Gooding Drive overpass to Red Ash Court, rail corridor works are planned to occur outside normal working hours during scheduled track closures, with activities planned between the hours listed below, where possible. Works will include fencing installation, surveying and conduit trenching works.
Rail corridor works are scheduled, pending construction and weather permitting conditions, for:
- Saturday 23 March 2024, 6:00am to 6:00pm
- Sunday 24 March 2024, 6:00am to 6:00pm
Work areas and vehicle movements
What to expect
- Construction activities may generate increased levels of noise and dust in the area. Every effort will be made to keep these to a minimum
- Ongoing temporary changes to pedestrian access and movements around the eastern parklands area, Entry Drive and Gooding Drive, in place until project completion.
- Increase in workers and construction vehicles transporting materials, equipment and machinery via Entry Drive and Gooding Drive. Workers and light vehicles accessing site via Crelga Court, Willunga Place and Nisbet Place.
- Intermittent use of mobile light towers and safety lighting. Every effort will be made to position light sources away from properties.
- The use of machinery include trucks (including water and fuel carts), graders, excavators, vac trucks, cranes, chainsaws, drill rigs, rollers, track mounted grinder, mulcher, chainsaws and hand held tools.
- An intermittent daily single lane closure and speed reduction will be in place on Gooding Drive westbound, between Ghilgai Road and the rail overpass, from 9am to 3pm.
- Traffic management and road signage will be in place to assist and direct motorists. For further details on the locations of these activities, please see the map below.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: