Roma Street station Subway and Bus Platform Upgrades - February and March 2024
Works to upgrade the architectural finishes in Roma Street station subway are continuing to progress with work teams completing upgrades in all toilets and the parent’s room.
Throughout February and March, work will continue behind the hoarding on the western side of the subway and on the platform access stairs.
Details of work
In February, hoarding will be installed on the stair access to platforms 4 and 5 to facilitate refurbishment works. Access to the platforms will be maintained at all times with work on the stairs undertaken in stages. Customers are encouraged to take care when accessing the platforms.
Work to upgrade the stairs to platforms 6 and 7, 8 and 9 will also continue throughout February and March. Access to platforms 8 and 9 will be maintained via the stairs on the eastern side of the subway and lifts. Signage is in place to assist customers.
The following activities will continue to be undertaken within the station subway:
- concreting works to install a slab in the station subway
- removal and reinstatement of architectural dome material
- removal of site hoist and make good of site lay down areas
- installation of hoarding around work areas
- removal of parts of the ceiling and station subway floor tiles using jackhammers and floor grinders
- refurbishment of platform stairs and central columns using jackhammers and floor grinders
- refurbishment of central columns within the subway
- installation of new flooring, wall tiles, new ceiling panels and temporary flooring
- installation of temporary flooring
- lighting upgrades.
Works are scheduled to occur between 6:30am and 6:30pm, Monday to Sunday, construction conditions permitting.
Concreting works to install a slab in the station subway will occur out of hours, due to operational requirements of Roma Street station and Brisbane Coach Terminal. These high impact, out of hours works will be undertaken between 6pm and 5am Monday to Saturday and includes activities listed above. Residents may experience an increase in noise levels.
Busway platform 2
Minor finishing works on bus platform 2 will continue to take place throughout February and March, Monday to Sunday, from 11pm yo 5am. Bus services will continue as normal during this time.
Due to busway operational requirements and for the safety of workers, construction will generally be undertaken outside the project’s normal working hours, construction and weather conditions permitting.
- saw cutting to remove and reconstruct platform columns
- installing a new ceiling beneath the existing platform canopy
- installing platform tiles
- installing electrical components such as power and lighting.
- deliveries of equipment and materials via the Countess Street busway.
What to expect
During these works, access to platforms, lifts and the subway will be maintained with temporary and intermittent changes to customer access. Customers and the local community may notice an increase in construction activities and workforce, which may generate increased levels of noise, dust and vibration. Mitigation measures will be in place, where possible, to reduce impacts.
There will be intermittent use of concrete saws, jackhammers, grinders, small power tools, minor vibrating equipment, generators, concrete pumps, vacuum trucks and mobile lighting towers to light work areas at night.
Materials and machinery for subway works will be delivered and removed from site between 11pm and 5am via Parkland Crescent. Vehicle access through Parkland Crescent will be maintained under the direction of traffic control.
We appreciate your patience during construction and will continue to update you as work progresses.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: