Roma Street station construction update - April 2020
Structural demolition, tunnel access shaft construction and acoustic shed installation will continue at the Roma Street construction site throughout April 2020.
Upcoming demolition activities
Demolition continues at Hotel Jen, East and West Towers. Activities include:
- Disconnecting and relocating utility services inside the Transit Centre and other buildings
- Removing internal fittings and fixtures
- Installing and removing scaffolding around the buildings
- Safely removing any hazardous materials found
- Installing overhead protection gantries, hoarding and fencing on Roma Street and inside the Transit Centre
- Structural demolition using large equipment
- Removing demolition waste
- Installing ground support anchors along the northern boundary of the site
- Installation of temporary services within the carpark located between Platforms 2 and 3
Upcoming tunnelling activities
Establishment of the tunnelling site on the corner of Roma Street and Parkland Boulevard is progressing. Upcoming activities include:
- Constructing the tunnel access shaft involving rock breaking, excavation, installing ground support anchors and concreting
- Installing an acoustic shed over the site involving steel work, cladding and concreting. The shed is expected to be completed by May 2020, weather and site conditions permitting
- Installing and commissioning tunnelling plant and equipment.
As the acoustic shed nears completion, work at the tunnelling site will start occurring 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Additional truck movements will be required to support the work.
Upcoming night work
The following work will occur within and around the site intermittently throughout April between 6:30pm and 6:30am, Monday to Saturday:
- Identifying and relocating existing utility services
- Installing new underground services to supply the site
- Installing overhead protection gantries over the footpath on Roma Street and inside the Brisbane Transit Centre
- Geotechnical investigations
- Installing signalised pedestrian crossings and other traffic changes at the intersection of Roma and Herschel Streets
- Installing new line marking, signage and road furniture on Roma Street
- Installing the acoustic shed
- Constructing the tunnel access shaft
- Installing and commissioning tunnelling plant and equipment
- Delivery of oversized equipment and materials.
Demolition of the former coach terminal access ramp
The former coach terminal access ramp at the Transit Centre will be demolished in stages during April and May 2020. Temporary traffic and footpath changes will be required to safely carry out the work.
A section of the ramp will be demolished over a weekend in May 2020 with a road closure in place. Further information about the weekend work and traffic changes will be provided in advance of the work.
Weekend work in the rail corridor
From 2:00am Saturday 18 April and 12:00am midnight Sunday 20 April 2020 work will be carried out in the rail corridor at Roma Street station.
A separate notice will be distributed about this work.
Works will generally occur between 6:30am and 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Due to traffic and rail restrictions, some works will occur outside of these hours.
Workers may arrive onsite approximately one hour prior to the planned start time to prepare for the shift’s activities.
What to expect
- An increase in construction workers and vehicles in the area
- A potential increase in noise, dust and vibration. These impacts will be reduced as much as possible
- Temporary changed traffic conditions. Traffic control will be in place to maintain the safety of road users, the community and workers.
Work is subject to relevant approvals and suitable weather conditions.
Every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum for residents and businesses in close proximity to the project site.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: