Roma Street station site
Construction activities continue at the Roma Street station site in January with the start of structural demolition.
Demolition will start at the West Tower of the Transit Centre in January and continue at Hotel Jen and East Tower. This work will include:
- Disconnecting and relocating utility services
- Removing internal fittings and fixtures
- Installing scaffolding around the buildings and gantries over footpaths and walkways
- Safely removing any hazardous materials found
- Structural demolition using large equipment
- Removing demolition waste.
Access changes at the Brisbane Transit Centre and on Roma Street
From January 2020, access changes will start to be implemented at the Brisbane Transit Centre and on Roma Street to enable demolition and maintain safe access for the community.
Access to the Roma Street station (rail and bus) will be maintained at all times.
Upcoming changes include:
- Permanently closing the Roma Street pedestrian overpass from Monday 13 January 2020. Alternative pedestrian access is available at road level on Roma Street via the signalised crossings.
- There will be no access to level 2 of the Brisbane Transit Centre after the overpass closes.
- Installing additional signalised pedestrian crossings at the intersection of Roma and Herschel streets. Further information will be provided about this work closer to the time.
- Installing overhead pedestrian protection gantries, hoarding and fencing inside the Brisbane Transit Centre and on the Roma Street footpath.
- Permanently closing the loading zones on Roma Street at the front of the Brisbane Transit Centre and Hotel Jen. Alternative loading zones are available on the surrounding streets.
Please be alert when travelling through the area and follow directional signage as conditions will be regularly changing.
Preparation for tunnelling continues
In January, work will continue on the corner of Roma Street and Parkland Boulevard.
Upcoming activities include:
- Continuing excavation, including rock breaking to prepare the site
- Installing ground support anchors and concreting
- Installing timber hoarding (fencing) around the site
- Preparing the ground and pouring concrete slabs for the base of the acoustic shed
- Installing utility services.
Works will generally occur between 6:30am and 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday, weather and site conditions permitting.
Some works will occur outside of these hours. We will notify nearby residents of any requirement for night works.
Workers may arrive onsite one hour prior to the planned start time to prepare for the day’s activities.
Extended hours work
The following work will continue until 10pm, Monday to Friday, at the tunnelling site on the corner of Roma Street and Parkland Boulevard:
- Excavation using excavators. No rock breaking will occur
- Loading excavated material into trucks and removing from site
- Installing ground support anchors and concreting.
The following work will occur intermittently throughout January between 6:30pm and 6:30am, Monday to Saturday:
- Identifying and relocating utility services in the Brisbane Transit Centre and along Roma Street
- Trimming vegetation, removing road furniture and modifying the footpath along Roma Street
- Installing gantries over the footpath on Roma Street
- Installing and removing scaffolding around the perimeter of the buildings
- Geotechnical investigations in and around the site
- Installing signalised pedestrian crossings and other traffic changes at the intersection of Roma and Herschel streets.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: