Demolition on track
Demolition activities are on track with Hotel Jen expected to be completed in July.
Demolition of the East and West Towers, the Brisbane Transit Centre carpark and the coach deck and ramp is continuing.
Tower crane removal
The tower crane, which has been used to demolish the upper levels of Hotel Jen and East Tower, will be removed between Friday 3 July and Sunday 5 July 2020. A temporary closure and detour of Roma Street inbound will be in place during this work. Refer to separate notice for more information.
Modifications in the existing Roma Street station
This month, access modification work will continue within the existing station and Brisbane Transit Centre. These modifications will enable station operations to continue during construction, ensuring uninterrupted
services for customers.
Upcoming activities include:
- Installing a new accessible ramp to the east of the stairs on Roma Street. The existing ramp will close soon after the new ramp opens
- Installing an access corridor inside the Brisbane Transit Centre to maintain safe pedestrian access while the lower levels of the building are being demolished. Access to the station will continue to be via the main entrance near the intersection of Roma and Makerston streets
- Relocating existing and installing new utility services
- Building a temporary busway platform to the east of Platform 1
- Modifying Platforms 2 and 3.
Enabling work starts for Services Building
In July, enabling work will start at the western end of the site for the new Services Building. This building will house the mechanical and electrical services required to operate the new underground train line and station.
The first stage of work involves excavating a 22-metredeep, 25-metre-wide and 45-metre-long shaft.
Upcoming activities include:
- Relocating utility services
- Constructing a new site driveway
- Earthworks to level the site and build a solid foundation for piling and excavation equipment
- Delivering equipment and material.
Tunnelling of the new underground station cavern continues with approximately 27 metres excavated by the roadheader, as at the middle of June.
Upcoming night work
The following work will occur within and around the site intermittently throughout July between 6:30pm and 6:30am, Monday to Saturday:
- Identifying and relocating existing utility services and installing new services
- Installing an access corridor inside the Brisbane Transit Centre
- Constructing a temporary busway platform and installing a new access elevator
- Constructing a site driveway
- Survey inspections of structures and roads
- Delivering equipment and materials.
Work will generally occur between 6:30am and 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday, weather and construction conditions permitting. Due to traffic and rail restrictions, some work will occur outside of these hours.
Tunnelling and associated activities within the acoustic shed will occur 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
What to expect
As construction continues to ramp up at the Roma Street site, nearby residents and businesses can expect:
- An increase in construction workers and vehicles in the area
- A potential increase in noise, dust and vibration. We are committed to making every effort to manage and minimise the impact of construction on the local community and the environment
- Temporary traffic changes on Roma Street and other surrounding streets.
Work is subject to relevant approvals and suitable weather conditions.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: