Roma Street station construction update - April to May 2023
The Roma Street site team achieved an exciting milestone in February when the new services building reached its final height of 33 metres above ground. Over the coming months, the services building will be fitted out with mechanical and electrical services.
Throughout April and May, construction of the main station building will continue above ground level with steel installation and concreting. Underground, the team continues to build the mezzanine level of the station as well as the future train platforms.
Roma Street station update
As part of construction of the new Roma Street station, underground utilities are required to be relocated. This work will continue until mid-2023. For more information on these works please refer to the Service Work section below.
Pedestrian access to Roma Street station will change in mid-2023. Further information about these changes will be provided in advance. Following relocation of pedestrian access to the station construction of the future station entry canopy will commence. Construction activities for the canopy will include foundation works such as piling and related activities. Piling will be undertaken during the day.
Station and Services buildings – Roma Street
Constructing the new buildings
The below works are ongoing and features both day and night work:
- Ground strengthening work including piling and jack hammering.
- Cutting and fixing reinforcing steel and installing formwork.
- Large concrete pours to construct the building floors and walls.
- Installing pre-cast concrete panels.
- Use of cranes both during the day and at night.
- Delivering equipment and materials to the worksite.
- Installing stairs in the back of house area.
- Service and fit-out installation in mechanical and electrical building.
- Completing mechanical and electrical services building adit.
Roma Street station – Busway Platform 2
Platform 2 construction activities
The below works are ongoing and will be night work only:
- Installing steel and roof sheeting to construct the platform canopy.
- Installing lighting, CCTV, drainage and other services.
- Concrete demolition with the use of excavators and hammering.
- Delivering equipment and materials to the worksite via the Roma Street construction site and on the busway. Lifts will be completed outside of bus operational hours.
- Use of the Roma Street construction site tower crane and mobile cranes.
Service work – Roma Street
The following works are ongoing until mid-2023 and features both day and night work:
- Temporary realignment of the existing footpath along Roma Street between Countess and Makerston streets.
- Relocation and realigning of electrical and stormwater underground utility services along Roma Street between Countess and Makerston streets.
- Installing service pits and water mains.
- Concrete cutting, jack hammering and rock breaking which may generate increased levels of noise.
- Use of vacuum excavation trucks and electronic scanning of the road and footpath.
- Construction of future station canopy including piling and foundation works.
Underground cavern and tunnelling – Acoustic shed, corner of Roma Street and Parkland Boulevard
The following works will be ongoing and features both day and night work:
- Installing steel and pouring concrete to construct mezzanine structures.
- Delivering and installing precast concrete segments.
- Transporting equipment and materials within the worksite.
- Use of ventilation fan to facilitate underground activities.
During construction, you may notice:
- Roma Street station and cavern construction hours are 24 hours Monday to Friday and 6.30am – 6.30pm on Saturdays. Some activities may be required to take place outside of these hours, at times.
- Construction activities may generate increased levels of noise, dust and vibration, and will be mitigated onsite where possible.
- Construction vehicles travelling to and from the worksite via Roma Street.
- Extended concrete pours are scheduled to start early in the morning.
- Delivery of materials and equipment to the worksite including at night.
- Temporary traffic and pedestrian changes on Roma Street and surrounding streets.
Nearby properties that are directly impacted by our works will be contacted closer to the time with specific information on activities near them.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: