Exhibition station construction update - April to May 2023
UNITY Alliance would like to thank you for your continued patience while the project team undertook a significant amount of work within the rail corridor between Bowen Hills and Victoria Park during February and March 2023. On the 10 March train services were successful switched over the new rail bridge within the RNA Showgrounds.
Details of work
The following activities are scheduled to occur between 6:30am and 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday during April and May 2023, weather and construction conditions permitting:
- Track demolition and removal of redundant structures with the rail corridor
- Installation of mast foundations and structures for overhead electrical lines and cable routes and pits within the rail corridor between Campbell Street and south of Bowen Bridge Road
- Rock excavation within the rail corridor between Campbell Street and Bowen Bridge Road
- Station drainage and underground utility installation
- Installation of structural steel and concrete for new station platforms
- Construction of station retaining walls
- Sewer relocation works at the cul-de-sac of Campbell Street, Bowen Hills
- Surveying and investigating underground services, such as water, electricity and gas
- Track work and maintenance.
Out of hours work
Additional activities will occur outside the project’s normal working hours, as outlined below.
In Spring Hill and Bowen Hills, and during a night shift that will occur intermittently between 6:00pm and 6:00am throughout April and May 2023:
- Concrete deliveries and pours
- Installation of cable routes and pits within the rail corridor including pulling new cables in conduits
- Minor earthworks to support signalling installation
- Track work and maintenance.
In Spring Hill and Bowen Hills, and between 2:00am Friday 7 to 2:30am Tuesday 11 April 2023, between 2:00am Saturday 29 April to 2:20am Tuesday 2 May 2023, and between 9:30am Thursday 18 to 2:30 Monday 29 May 2023, the following works will occur:
- Rock excavation and earthworks between Campbell Street, Bowen Hills and Victoria Park, Spring Hill
- Installation of overhead electrical structures, mast foundations, signalling equipment, cable routes and pits within the rail corridor
- Continue demolition of Exhibition station and removal of redundant structures within the rail corridor
- Earthworks and installation of drainage
- Track work and maintenance
- Installation of structural steel and concrete for new station platforms.
Work area Exhibition station precinct in April and May 2023
What to expect
During these works you may notice some intermittent disruptions such as:
- Light vehicles, trucks and machinery including excavators with hydraulic hammers, mobile cranes, small power tools, drills, saws, minor vibrating equipment and mobile lighting towers to light the work areas at night
- Use of large machinery such as excavators with hydraulic hammers to remove rock and concrete structures around between Campbell Street and Bowen Bridge Road and load material into trucks for transport
- Changes around your local area such as construction vehicles, traffic management signs and personnel
- Increased levels of noise, vibration and dust associated with the use of heavy machinery and equipment
- Access into the rail corridor will be via the Victoria Park access road, Bowen Bridge Road, Lanham Street and O’Connell Terrace via the RNA Showgrounds.
We appreciate your patience during construction and will continue to update you as work progresses.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: