Northern Tunnel Portal construction update - February 2021
Piling is now underway at the Northern Tunnel Portal construction site with more than 400 piles scheduled to be installed within the rail corridor by mid-2021.
Site establishment, service relocation and piling activities will continue at the site throughout the month.
Northern Tunnel Portal construction site
Within the rail corridor at Normanby
The below works will occur within the standard construction hours which are between 6:30am to 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday.
Site establishment and service installation
The following works will be ongoing:
- Installing site offices and facilities
- Relocating an underground water service within the rail corridor.
Piling and associated activities
The following works will be ongoing until mid-2021:
- Delivery of oversized plant and equipment
- Installing piles which will support the Northern Tunnel Portal structure
- Breaking back the top of the piles and building the concrete capping beam
- Excavation and removal of materials and equipment.
Under the rail corridor at Normanby and within Victoria Park
The below works will occur within the standard construction hours which are between 6:30am to 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday. Some activities will be completed out of normal construction hours. Nearby residents will be notified in advance via letterbox drop.
Excavation, microtunnelling and construction of service pits
The following works will be ongoing until April 2021:
- Delivering plant and equipment
- Excavation of entry and exit pits for microtunnelling
- Microtunnelling to install the new underground service under the rail corridor and ICB
- Concreting to construct new service access pits
- Decommissioning of the existing sewer main.
What to expect
- Construction activity in the area with potential for an increase in noise, dust, vibration, truck movements and workers.
- Construction impact mitigation activities such as street sweepers, water suppression and hoarding installation.
- Work is subject to relevant approvals and suitable weather conditions.
- Temporary pedestrian and traffic changes.
- Standard construction times are 6:30am to 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday, however work will occur outside of these hours due to traffic permits, safety requirements and construction methodology.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: