Northern Tunnel Portal construction update - November 2022 to January 2023
The Northern Tunnel Portal site is edging closer to achieving the key milestone of the structure being fully enclosed, as the team continues installing the final pre-cast roof segments. Construction of the topping slab and backfill of the remaining roof area will then be undertaken until early 2023.
Inside the structure, the team is completing the permanent internal walls and installing rail within the tunnel between the Northern Tunnel Portal and the new Albert Street station.
Northern Tunnel Portal construction
Within the rail corridor
Works will take place during the standard construction hours of 6:30am to 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday.
Some activities will be completed out of normal construction hours, 6:30pm to 6:30am, due to traffic permits, safety requirements and construction methodology.
Excavation and construction of the tunnel portal structure
The works below will be ongoing until early 2023:
- Transporting and operating oversized plant and equipment.
- Installing precast roof components and constructing the roof slab.
- Waterproofing, pouring concrete slabs, walls and backfilling the roof.
- Excavating, loading and removing material with trucks.
- Installing mechanical and electrical services.
- Rail deliveries and transportation including use of loaders from surface to tunnel.
Works during the holiday period
The Cross River Rail Tunnel and Stations team wishes you a safe and happy holiday.
Construction activities across sites will be reduced between Friday 23 December 2022 and Tuesday 3 January 2023 for the Christmas holiday period.
What to expect
- Construction activity with potential for an increase in noise, dust, vibration, truck movements and workers.
- Construction impact mitigation activities such as street sweepers and water trucks.
- Work is subject to relevant approvals and weather and site conditions.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: