Night work and traffic changes – Albert Street between Charlotte and Elizabeth Streets
The Cross River Rail Tunnel & Stations contractor will carry out night work on Albert Street between Charlotte and Elizabeth Streets. This work will involve a temporary night time road closure of this section of Albert Street.
From Tuesday 14 April 2020 for approximately three weeks, night work will be carried out on Albert Street between Charlotte and Elizabeth Streets.
This work will take place on Monday to Thursday nights between 7pm and 5am and will involve a temporary night time road closure of this section of Albert Street, with motorists detoured around the block via George Street.
This work is required to facilitate geotechnical investigations. A rig will drill up to 40 metres underground to provide ground condition information in preparation for future project works.
Work will involve:
- Setting up traffic control to implement the road closure
- Setting up a temporary work site with fencing
- Locating existing underground services with a hydro vacuum unit which is a large vehicle with a vacuum attachment
- Setting up the drill rig
- Drilling into the ground
- Packing down the site, clearing the work area and re-opening the road.
The Albert Street taxi rank will be closed during this work. An alternative night time taxi rank is available on Elizabeth Street near Albert Street.
Access to The Royal Albert Hotel’s driveway will be maintained via Elizabeth Street only. Traffic control officers will assist motorists around the road closure.
The Myer Centre car park exit ramp will remain open at all times.
Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times, including into local businesses on Albert Street.
What to expect
As a result of these works you can expect:
- Traffic delays due to the road closure and detour. Please plan your journey and allow additional time if travelling through the area at night
- A potential increase in noise and dust. We are committed to reducing these impacts as much as possible.
In the event of wet weather or unforeseen circumstances, this activity may be extended.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: