Work has been rescheduled to occur from 7:00pm Friday 10 July until 5:00am Monday 13 July 2020. During this period, Roma Street eastbound will be closed between Countess and Herschel streets. A signed traffic detour will be in place.
During this period work will occur continuously to dismantle and remove the large tower crane which has been used for the demolition of Hotel Jen and East Tower. This will involve:
- Setting up temporary traffic and pedestrian management
- Installing temporary measures to protect nearby roads, footpaths and other infrastructure
- Dismantling the tower crane within the site using hand tools and hydraulic wrenches
- Lifting the tower crane parts onto trucks and removing from site.
Traffic and pedestrian changes
The following temporary changes will be in place during this work:
- Roma Street eastbound between Countess and Herschel streets closed and signed detour in place
- Right turn from Skew Street onto Roma Street closed and signed detour in place
- Lane closures on Roma Street westbound, Herschel Street and George Street. Westbound traffic on Roma Street will be stopped intermittently
- Footpath on the northern side of Roma Street between Makerston Street and Parkland Boulevard closed and signed detour in place
- Street parking and loading zones closed on the western side of Herschel Street between 5am and 6:30pm on Saturday 11 July.
Public transport arrangements
- All bus stops on Roma Street will remain open. Bus services will continue to operate from these stops as normal, including services diverted as part of the temporary Roma Street busway station closure
- Buses travelling on Roma Street inbound will be diverted around the work zone via Makerston Street, North Quay and Herschel Street
- Some bus stops on Herschel Street will temporarily stop at alternate locations during the work. Plan your journey at translink.com.au or via the MyTranslink app.
- Access to Roma Street rail station will be maintained throughout the work.
Traffic control and signage will be in place to assist the community through these changes. Access to properties will be maintained.
Please plan your journey and allow additional time if travelling through the area during this period.
Due to traffic restrictions and to maintain the safety of the community and workers, work and traffic changes will occur continuously from 7:00pm Friday 10 July until 5:00am Monday 13 July 2020.
What to expect
As a result of this work, you can expect:
- An increase in construction workers and vehicles in the area
- Use of construction machinery and equipment including large mobile cranes, hand tools, hydraulic wrenches, chainsaws, elevated work platforms, lighting towers, light vehicles, trucks, light vehicles and traffic control
- An increase in noise if you are a nearby business or resident. These impacts will be reduced as much as possible
- Traffic delays. Please plan your journey and allow additional time if travelling through the area.
Every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum for residents and businesses in close proximity to the works.
Work is subject to relevant approvals and suitable weather conditions. Should this work be postponed, it will be rescheduled to occur the following weekend from 7:00pm Friday 17 July until 5:00am Monday 20 July 2020.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: