Demolition of the former coach terminal access ramp
The former coach terminal access ramp at the Brisbane Transit Centre is being demolished to enable construction of Cross River Rail. To safely demolish the ramp, traffic changes are required on Roma Street.
From 12:05am Wednesday 13 May until 7:00pm Sunday 17 May 2020, Roma Street eastbound will be closed between Countess and Herschel streets. Lane closures will also be in place on Roma Street westbound between Countess and Makerston streets. A signed traffic detour will be in place.
Activities undertaken over this period will involve:
- Setting up temporary traffic and pedestrian management
- Installing temporary measures to protect nearby roads, footpaths and other infrastructure during demolition
- Structural demolition of the ramp using concrete cutters, loaders and large excavators with hammer and pulveriser attachments
- Processing and safely removing demolition waste and any hazardous materials found using excavators, loaders and trucks.
Work will occur continuously during this period. The work is expected to be noisy and every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum for nearby residents and businesses. Measures will include stopping structural demolition at 8pm each day.
Traffic, pedestrian and public transport changes
The following temporary changes will be in place during this work:
- Roma Street eastbound between Countess and Herschel streets closed and signed detour in place
- Roma Street westbound reduced to one lane between Herschel and Countess streets
- Footpath on the northern side of Roma Street between Countess and Makerston streets closed and signed detour in place
- Bus stops 124 and 125 on Roma Street will be temporarily closed. Plan your journey at translink.com.au or via the MyTranslink app.
Access to Roma Street rail and busway station will be maintained throughout the work.
Traffic control and signage will be in place to assist the community through these changes. Access to properties will be maintained.
Please plan your journey and allow additional time if travelling through the area during this period.
Due to traffic restrictions and to maintain the safety of the community and workers, work and traffic changes will occur continuously from 12:05am Wednesday 13 May until 7pm Sunday 17 May 2020.
Structural demolition of the ramp will occur between 6:30am and 8pm each day. All other activities will occur continuously throughout the period.
Work is subject to relevant approvals and suitable weather conditions.
What to expect
As a result of this work, you can expect:
- An increase in construction workers and vehicles in the area
- Use of construction machinery and equipment including large excavators, loaders, truck, concrete saws, lighting towers, light vehicles and traffic control
- An increase in noise if you are a nearby business or resident. These impacts will be reduced as much as possible
- Traffic delays. Please plan your journey and allow additional time if travelling through the area.
Every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum for residents and businesses in close proximity to the works. Should these works be postponed, they will be rescheduled to occur at the next available date.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: