Woolloongabba Cross River Rail Priority Development Area (PDA)
- The former 10 hectare Woolloongabba PDA, declared on 23 April 2010, has been revoked and replaced with the 21 hectare Woolloongabba CRR PDA to assist with the delivery of the CRR Project. This boundary includes all land within the former Woolloongabba PDA as well as land east of Main Street, including the Brisbane Cricket Ground (the Gabba Stadium).
- The Woolloongabba Cross River Rail (CRR) Priority Development Area (PDA) was declared on 3 April 2020 and an Interim Land Use Plan (dated April 2020) came into effect.
- The Interim Land Use Plan (dated April 2020) pre-dates confirmation of Brisbane as the host of the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games (Brisbane 2032) and the Gabba being identified as a venue for the Olympic and Paralympic athletics events and opening and closing ceremonies.
- Following confirmation of Brisbane 2032, a new Interim Land Use Plan (dated November 2021) has been made to acknowledge the need for additional planning to be undertaken in light of the State Government’s proposed redevelopment of the Gabba stadium.
- The new Interim Land Use Plan (dated November 2021) has effect from 24 November 2021. It provides a planning framework for development within the PDA for a period of up to 12 months or until the development scheme is finalised.
- The Minister for Economic Development Queensland has delegated certain functions and powers under the Economic Development Act 2012 (ED Act) to the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority including development scheme preparation and development assessment.
Woolloongabba CRR PDA boundary map
Woolloongabba CRR PDA Interim Land Use Plan
The ED Act provides for a streamlined planning and development framework for PDAs to facilitate economic development, and development for community purposes. Once a PDA is declared under the ED Act, a development scheme for the PDA must be prepared.
The new Interim Plan Use Plan (dated November 2021) has effect from 24 November 2021. It is predominantly consistent with the previous Interim Land Use Plan (dated April 2020), other than changes made to reflect:
- confirmation of Brisbane 2032, and
- commitments made by the State Government in relation to the Woolloongabba CRR PDA, regarding:
- open space provision, and
- affordable and social housing.
As at 2021, the planning, staging and delivery of infrastructure, including the Gabba redevelopment, is in an early phase. A significant amount of work is required, in consultation with relevant State agencies and bodies responsible for coordinating the delivery of Brisbane 2032, to understand how the Gabba redevelopment relates to the broader PDA and development scheme preparation.
When the proposed development scheme is prepared, it will be publicly notified in accordance with the ED Act. At this time, all interested parties including the community, residents and business operators, will be invited to view the proposed development scheme and make a written submission.
The Interim Land Use Plan (dated November 2021) has effect from 24 November 2021. It provides a planning framework for development within the PDA for a period of up to 12 months or until the development scheme is finalised.
- Download the Woolloongabba CRR PDA Interim Land Use Plan (November 2021)
- Download the Woolloongabba CRR PDA Regulatory Map
The Cross River Rail Delivery Authority is responsible for planning and development assessment within the Woolloongabba CRR PDA.