Woolloongabba station construction update
Piling is underway at the Woolloongabba site to create a solid foundation for the excavation of the Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) launch area and new underground station. Excavation will start in December as piling continues to progress.
During December and January, activities on site will include;
- Continuing to construct platforms and pads for piling and other site infastructure. This will involve earthworks and the use of vibratory rollers
- Piling activities, including starting to break back the top of the piles using jackhammers and building the concrete beam. Refer overleaf for the steps involved in the piling process
- Starting excavation of the TBM launch area and station box. Some excavated material will be re-used to build the access ramp and other site facilities, and the remainder will be removed from site by trucks
- Identifying and relocating existing underground utility services in and around the site
- Installing site office buildings and worker facilities
- Geotechnical investigations in and around the site
- Intallating power and other utility services required for tunnelling and site operations.
Works will generally occur between 6:30am and 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Due to traffic restrictions and for the safety of the community and our workers, some works will occur outside of these hours. Refer overleaf for details of upcoming night works. We will notify nearby residents of any requirement for night works.
Workers may arrive onsite one hour prior to the planned start time to prepare for the day’s activities.
Upcoming night work
The following work will occur intermittently throughout December and January, between 6:30pm and 6:30am:
- Installing traffic signgage on roads surrounding the site
- Geotechnical investigations around the sit
- Investigating and relocating existing underground services on roads and footpaths surrounding the site
- Delivering and unloading oversized machinery and materials at the site.
Bus stop closure – Main Street
Bus stop 9 on Main Street at The Fiveways (Stop ID: 019053) will close in January 2020 for the duration of construction.
The closure is required due to close proximity of the bus stop to the site entry and to maintain the safety of the community.
Buses will continue to stop at the nearby Wooloongabba Busway Station during the closure.
Signage will be installed at the bus stop in advance of the closure.
What to expect
As a result of these works you can expect:
- An increase in construction workers and vehicles in the area
- A potential increase in noise, dust and vibration. These impacts will be reduced as much as possible
- Temporary changed traffic conditions and minor traffic delays. Traffic control will be in place where required to maintain the safety of road users, the community and workers.
Work is subject to relevant approvals and suitable weather conditions.
Every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum for residents and businesses in close proximity to the project site.
Site holiday shutdown
The site will be closed between Monday 23 December 2019 and Sunday 5 January 2020 for the holiday season. Intermittent site inspections and maitnenance will occur during this period.