Track closures required for important Cross River Rail works
31 Aug 2021
Changes to train services, including a seven-day closure of part of the network, will be required from late August to early September to allow for major works necessary to deliver Cross River Rail.
Cross River Rail Delivery Authority CEO Graeme Newton said the changes were needed so intensive works could be carried out safely and efficiently in the rail corridor at Dutton Park from mid-August to build the project’s southern tunnel portal – where trains would enter and exit from the twin tunnels.
“Cross River Rail will transform the way we travel to, from and through Brisbane in the future,” Mr Newton said.
“But right now it means changes to travel and transport services during construction, with work already underway at more than a dozen locations.”
Mr Newton said the most significant change was a week-long track closure that would affect train services on parts of the Beenleigh and Gold Coast lines from Monday 30 August to Sunday 5 September, and the Cleveland line on the weekend of 4-5 September.
“We understand this will cause some inconvenience and apologise in advance, but these closures are required to ensure construction on this transformational project is carried out safely and efficiently,” he said.
“Unfortunately, we do need the week-long track closure to allow for important 24/7 piling works in the rail corridor, which will take place next to the tracks.”
Mr Newton said the southern portal works included removing an existing rail line and excavating the ground beneath, then building concrete foundations over the excavated area and relaying track, before finally continuing construction within the excavated tunnel area beneath the rail line.
“Building this vital infrastructure safely around and under existing rail lines is no easy feat and unfortunately some disruptions are inevitable, but we hope that by giving people plenty of notice, they are able to plan their journeys ahead,” he said.
“We have been working really closely with Queensland Rail and TransLink to ensure alternative transport options are in place, and will continue to update the community ahead of the changes coming into effect.”
Mr Newton said other changes included a weekend track closure on 14-15 August, and modified stopping patterns from mid-August for selected train services at Dutton Park and Fairfield stations for approximately seven months, as well as Yeronga station once it reopened.
For more information about the upcoming changes, please visit Cross River Rail’s new Travel Checker.
Train service changes fast facts:
Saturday 14 to Sunday 15 August
- Beenleigh line trains will run express between Moorooka and Roma Street via the Tennyson loop.
- Gold Coast line trains will run express between Altandi to Roma Street via the Tennyson loop.
Buses will replace trains during this time.
- Plan your journey in advance by visiting translink.com.au, download My TransLink app or call 13 12 30.
Monday 30 August until Friday 3 September
- Beenleigh line trains will terminate at Yeerongpilly station. Buses will replace trains between Yeerongpilly and Roma Street station. To find out your best alternative transport option, visit translink.com.au
- Gold Coast line trains will run express between Altandi to Roma Street via the Tennyson loop. Trains will depart four minutes earlier than regular timetables.
Saturday 4 to Sunday 5 September
- Beenleigh line trains will run express between Moorooka and Roma Street via the Tennyson loop. Buses will replace trains between Moorooka and Roma Street station for customers accessing Park Road, South Bank and South Brisbane stations.
- Gold Coast line trains will run express between Altandi and Roma Street via the Tennyson loop.
- Cleveland line trains will terminate at Lindum station, with buses replacing trains between Lindum and Roma Street.
- Shorncliffe and Northgate line trains will terminate at South Bank station.
Monday 16 August for approximately seven months
- Changes to stopping patterns on some Beenleigh line services. Eight weekday services will run express from Yeerongpilly to Park Road station and won’t stop at Fairfield or Dutton Park stations (and Yeronga station once it reopens).
- To support customers during this time, StationLink Route 109 will continue to operate every 15 minutes or better between Moorooka and Park Road stations.