Track closures over Christmas and New Year
12 Dec 2022
Click here to view the Australian Sign Language (Auslan) version of this story with text captions.
South East Queenslanders are being reminded to plan their Christmas and New Year train travel in advance, with a 10-day track closure on some lines required to allow for major Cross River Rail works.
Cross River Rail Delivery Authority CEO Graeme Newton said track closures, from Christmas Eve until 2 January 2023, would primarily take place on southern Brisbane lines, where a rolling program of works was underway to rebuild seven new stations between Dutton Park and Salisbury.
“The tremendous progress being made on our megaproject does unfortunately mean there are inevitable disruptions from time to time,” he said.
“From 24 December to 2 January 2023, there will be track closures on the Gold Coast and Beenleigh lines to allow for southern station upgrade works to be carried out safely and efficiently.
“There will also be a track closure on the Cleveland line from 24-30 December.”
To learn more about Cross River Rail and travel changes, visit Travel Checker.
Train and replacement bus service times may be different during the 10-day closure. To plan your travel, visit Translink’s journey planner.
Track closure fast facts
- To allow for major Cross River Rail works, particularly on the southern stations, there will be a 10-day track closure from Christmas Eve (24 December 2022) to 2 January 2023, mostly impacting southern lines. Impacts include:
- 24 December – 2 January: Track closures on Beenleigh and Gold Coast lines. Closures may affect Ferny Grove, Airport, and Springfield line customers.
- 24 December – 30 December: Track closure on the Cleveland line. Closure may affect Shorncliffe line customers.
- Altered timetables for all lines, and rail replacement services for closed stations.
- From 7pm on New Year’s Eve, additional train and bus services will operate.
- Special trains will run for United Cup at Pat Rafter Arena from 29 December to 2 January.
- (Note: There will also be a track closure on the Rosewood line from 24-27 December for important Queensland Rail works unrelated to Cross River Rail. Only customers travelling between Ipswich and Rosewood will be impacted).