Fairfield station works complete as Cross River Rail builds on inclusive design legacy
14 Nov 2023
The new fully-accessible Fairfield station has been completed, with all new features now in operation for customer use.
Fairfield station is now the second southside station of seven after Yeronga to be rebuilt through the Cross River Rail project, with only some minor rectification works ongoing.
The milestone means customers will now benefit from several key innovative features on what was previously one of the oldest stations on the South East Queensland network, including –
- Rubber fingers to reduce the platform-to-train gap;
- A new overpass, lifts and stairs;
- Large through lifts so customers using wheelchairs do not need to turn around in the lift;
- Raised platforms that meet the train door; and
- Tactile and braille signage at station entrances.
Cross River Rail is delivering world-class infrastructure to benefit all Queenslanders, including those with a disability.
Cross River Rail’s Accessibility Reference Group – which includes people with lived experience of disability – has played a key role in station design to ensure our stations are accessible for all.
Use the links below to find out more: