Woolloongabba traffic and pedestrian changes at Main Street
From mid-March 2023 until late-2023, there will be intermittent traffic and pedestrian changes on Main Street, Woolloongabba to enable the installation of permanent utility services for the new Woolloongabba station (refer to map below).
These works and associated pedestrian and traffic changes will take place outside of standard construction hours, 6:30pm to 6:30am due to traffic permit requirements and to ensure the safety of motorists and pedestrians during high traffic periods during the day. Please note the construction timeframe is subject to weather, unforeseeable conditions and approvals.
Over the coming months, works will begin along Main Street and near the Woolloongabba bus station to construct a new retaining wall and to begin road works required for the future Cross River Rail Woolloongabba station.
Further notification will be provided at a later date.
Construction activities for utility installation work
As part of the construction of the new Woolloongabba station, underground utilities are required to be installed.
Construction activities include:
- Site establishment and installing traffic management including traffic barriers, and detour directional signage.
- Pre-investigation works to confirm the location of current services.
- Vegetation removal.
- Excavation and construction of new permanent service lines and new service pits
- Realigning existing service lines.
- Installing new services.
- Road reinstatement.
Works will involve, but not limited to, the use of vacuum excavation trucks, generators, compressors, excavators, rock breakers, a road saw, a tipper truck, haulage vehicles, lighting units and hand tools.
Due to traffic permit requirements and to ensure the flow of vehicles during high traffic periods, this work will occur outside of standard construction hours from 6:30pm to 6:30am, Monday to Sunday.
Woolloongabba traffic changes
There are numerous traffic and pedestrian changes occurring around the area as we construct the new Woolloongabba station. Locations include, Gibbon Street and Stanley Street service road, Leopard Street, Vulture Street and Main Street. Please refer to the map below to familiarise yourself with these changes.
What to expect:
- Temporary vehicle detours and pedestrian changes from 6:30pm to 6:30am. Signage and traffic control will be in place to assist motorists, pedestrians and cyclists where required.
- Pedestrians will be diverted along the Main Street road and two north bound Main Street lanes will be closed during this time.
- In the event works require the temporary closure of the Main Street western footpath and a detour on the road is not viable, pedestrians will be detoured via the eastern footpath. This closure will occur intermittently between 6:30pm to 6:30am as required.
- Increased levels of noise, dust, vibration and lighting. Onsite mitigation measures will be implemented where possible. All activities will be undertaken in compliance with Project Approval conditions.
- Delivery of materials and equipment to the worksite, and an increase in personnel carrying out the work.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: