Updated date – Woolloongabba traffic changes and permanent service construction – 23 February 2023
The temporary traffic changes on Gibbon Street and Stanley Street service road will now occur from 8pm Thursday 23 February for approximately eight weeks.
During this period, temporary road closures and detours will be in place.
From 8pm Thursday 23 February for approximately eight weeks, temporary traffic changes will be in place on Gibbon Street and the Stanley Street service road (refer to map overleaf) to facilitate realignment of utility services required for the new Woolloongabba station. Please note the construction timeframe is subject to weather, unforeseeable conditions and approvals. During this time, a section of Gibbon Street at the Stanley Street service road intersection will be fully closed.
Detours via Hawthorne Street and Ipswich Road will be in place, with traffic control in place to assist motorists, pedestrians and cyclists. Access to properties and businesses will be maintained. Footpath access will be maintained under the direction of traffic control.
Notification confirming the date and time the road will reopen will be provided closer to the time.
As part of construction of the new Woolloongabba station, underground utilities are required to be realigned. Construction activities include:
- Site establishment and installing traffic management including traffic barriers, and detour directional signage.
- Pre investigation within the existing manhole.
- Launch pit excavation and construction.
- Micro-tunnelling from within the Woolloongabba site to the manhole in Gibbon Street.
- Realigning existing service lines.
- Backfill of manhole.
- Road reinstatement.
Work will involve the use of vacuum excavation trucks, generators, compressors, excavators, rock breakers, road saw, tipper truck, haulage vehicles, lighting units and hand tools.
To ensure these works are completed efficiently and the duration of the road closure is reduced as much as possible, work within established construction areas will be undertaken, Monday to Sunday, 24-hours. High impact activities will be scheduled during the day, where possible.
What to expect
- Temporary vehicle detours. Signage and traffic control will be in place to assist motorists, pedestrians and cyclists where required.
- Traffic will be diverted via Hawthorne Street and Ipswich Road. Motorists will be permitted to complete a U-turn within Gibbon Street if required.
- Increased levels of noise, dust, vibration and lighting. Onsite mitigation measures will be implemented where possible. Work will be carried out both during the day and at night. All activities will be undertaken in compliance with Project Approval conditions.
- Delivery of materials and equipment to the worksite.
- Increase in personnel carrying out works.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: