Roma Street service work update
From September until late 2022, work to install underground utility services will be undertaken on Roma Street.
During this period, temporary changes are required to the northern footpath on Roma Street between Countess and Makerston streets.
Service installation work
As part of construction of the new Roma Street station, new underground utilities are required to be installed. Construction activities include:
- Site establishment and installing traffic barriers to realign the footpath
- Constructing new pedestrian ramps
- Removing traffic signals at the Cross River Rail work site gate
- Removing existing gantries and site fencing
- Realigning existing underground high voltage lines
- Installing service pits
- Installing water mains
- Use of equipment and machinery to complete activities such as saw cutting and rock breaking.
Temporary footpath changes
To establish work areas, sections of the northern footpath on Roma Street between Countess and Makerston streets will be temporarily realigned.
Traffic barriers will be installed to separate traffic from pedestrians and the worksite. Access around the work areas and to the bus stops on Roma Street will be maintained.
Work within established construction sites will be undertaken during standard construction hours, Monday to Saturday 6:30am to 6:30pm.
When working outside established work areas and due to traffic permit requirements, work will also be undertaken at night between 6:30pm and 6:30am. High impact works will be scheduled during the day, where possible.
Additional notification will be provided to the surrounding community ahead of any night work.
What to expect
- Construction activities that generate increased levels of noise, dust and vibration. Onsite mitigation measures will be implemented where possible
- Construction activities during the day and at night. All activities will be undertaken in compliance with Project Approval conditions
- Delivery of materials and equipment to the worksite
- Temporary pedestrian and traffic changes. Signage and traffic control will be in place to assist where required.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: