Pimpama station early works – October & November 2022
Construction of the new Pimpama station access road and associated drainage are ongoing with drainage excavation and utility relocation works continuing along the Old Pacific Highway between Bedford Road and Mebbin Street.
Details of works
Drainage works will continue on the Old Pacific Highway between Bedford Road and Mebbin Street and site preparation will commence on the corner of Bedford Road and the Old Pacific Highway, including pavement and utility works. Work will include:
- Drainage excavation on the eastern side of the Old Pacific Highway
- Installing steel reinforcement and pouring concrete
- Vegetation clearing within the work site including along Old Pacific Highway and on the corner of Bedford Road
- Continued temporary changes to pedestrian movements around the work site
- Continued temporary closure of access into Bedford Road from the Old Pacific Highway (see map below for more information)
- Pavement works and kerb restoration
- Installation of electrical conduits on Bedford Road.
Works will be undertaken between 6.30am until 6.30pm Monday to Saturday. Truck movements will be reduced during peak hour periods to minimise impacts to motorists.
What to expect
- Construction activities may generate increased levels of noise, dust and vibration in the area associated with the works being undertaken
- Increase in workforce and construction vehicle movements around the station site for transport of materials, equipment and machinery
- Traffic controls will be in place along the Old Pacific Highway and Bedford Road, including reduced speed limits and minor traffic holds to assist with safe entry and exit of heavy vehicles
- Pedestrian detours
- Bedford Road will remain partially closed for the duration of the works to enable a safe environment for workers and motorists due to the removal of turning lanes and reduced lane widths on the Old Pacific Highway.
For information regarding the traffic and pedestrian changes, please see the map below.
Construction of the new signalised intersection, drainage works and connecting pedestrian and cycle pathways will be undertaken in a staged approach to maintain traffic flow along the Old Pacific Highway. Works include:
- Drainage and utility relocation – excavation and installation of culverts under the Old Pacific Highway and relocation of utilities: Underway.
- New access road – earthworks, road surfacing, line marking, median island and kerb construction.
- Intersection – road resurfacing, electrical works including signal installation, landscaping, asphalt works, line marking, pedestrian pathways, island and kerb construction.
The Cross River Rail Delivery Authority is currently out to market for the main station construction contract, with procurement activities continuing throughout 2022.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: