Fairfield station construction update - February 2021
During February 2021, UNITY Alliance will continue work at Fairfield station for construction of the Cross River Rail project.
Details of work
The following activities are scheduled to occur in February 2021, weather and construction conditions permitting:
- Installation of new overhead electrical line structures, including use of a crane to lift the structures into place
- Installation of under track crossings for new cable routes for electrical services
- Geotechnical investigations to inform design of service relocations
- Identification and relocation of public utilities (water, sewer, communications and electrical)
- Track and maintenance works between Fairfield and Yeronga stations.
Out of hours work
The following activities will occur outside the project’s normal working hours but are timed to take place within a planned weekend track closure, as outlined below.
At Fairfield station and along Mildmay Street and Ashby Street, and intermittently between 2:00am Saturday 13 and 2:00am Monday 15 February 2021, the following works will occur:
- Geotechnical investigations and general site inspections
- Single lane closure on the corner of Mildmay Street and Ashby Street. Access will be maintained under the direction of traffic control in a contra-flow arrangement
- Cable service relocation, trenching and installation
- Track and maintenance works.
At Fairfield station and along Mildmay Street and Ashby Street, and intermittently between 2:00am Saturday 27 February and 2:00am Monday 1 March 2021, the following works will occur:
- Installation of overhead electrical line structures
- Full closure of Mildmay Street between Ashby Street and Fairfield Gardens shopping centre entry, for a crane to lift overhead electrical line structures into place. Local access maintained for residents
- Single lane closure on Equity Street for installation of overhead electrical line structures. Local access maintained for residents
- Under track crossing and overhead electrical line portal structure installation
- Track and maintenance works.
Signage will be in place to direct motorists, pedestrians and cyclists around works areas. Please observe the directions of traffic control while passing through the area.
Fairfield station – Ashby Street, Mildmay Street and Equity Street temporary traffic changes
What to expect
During these works you may notice some intermittent disruptions such as:
- Temporary traffic changes on Ashby Street, Mildmay Street and Equity Street. Traffic control will be in place, and local access to properties will be maintained
- Light vehicles, trucks and machinery including excavators, frontend loader, mobile cranes, vacuum truck, small power tools, drills, saws, minor vibrating equipment and mobile lighting towers to light work areas at night
- Changes around your local area such as construction vehicles, traffic management signs and personnel
- Some noise, vibration and dust associated with the use of heavy machinery and equipment
- Placement of temporary fencing around construction areas.
Every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum for residents and businesses in close proximity to the project site.
We appreciate your patience during construction and use of this compound and will continue to update you as work progresses.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: