Construction update Fairfield to Yeronga stations
From December 2020, UNITY Alliance will continue work at Fairfield and Yeronga stations.
Details of work
The following activities are scheduled to occur between December 2020 and January 2021:
- Installation of new overhead electrical line structures at Fairfield station
- Excavation works and retaining wall demolition near Lake Street and Fairfield Road, Yeronga to prepare for platform works
- Screw pile installation for station platform works, service relocation, removal of buildings and pedestrian overbridge structures at Yeronga station
- Continuing with the removal of trees near Yeronga station entry on Lake Street
- Continuing with water main relocation works between Dublin Street and Fairfield Road, Yeronga.
Out of hours work
Some of the activities outlined below will occur outside the project’s normal working hours, between Monday 7 December and Monday 21 December 2020, weather and construction conditions permitting.
At Fairfield Road and Dublin Street and intermittently between 8:00pm and 5:00am from Monday 7 to Thursday 17 December 2020 and with three to four night shifts required, the following works will occur:
- Temporary single southbound slow lane closure adjacent to the rail corridor on Fairfield Road, Yeronga. See map overleaf for pedestrian detours
- Water main connection works on Fairfield Road and Dublin Street, Yeronga.
At Dublin Street, and intermittently between 6:30am and 6:30pm from Monday 7 to Thursday 17 December 2020 and with ten day shifts accquired, the continuation of watermain relocation works will occur and include the following:
- Water main trench excavation and pipe installation at the end of Dublin Street, Yeronga with traffic control
- Manhole reconstruction and road pavement repair
- Removal of equipment and reinstatement of Dublin Street works area
- Reinstatement of disturbed works areas.
At Yeronga station, and intermittently between 2:00am Saturday 19 and 2:00am Monday 21 December 2020, the following works will occur:
- Geotechnical investigations for track lowering preparation works
- Temporary fence installation
- Signalling testing works.
At Fairfield station, and intermittently between 5:00am and 6:00pm Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 December 2020, the following works will occur:
- Overhead electrical line mast foundation works
- Single lane closure on Equity Street, Fairfield with traffic control.
Signage will be in place to direct motorists, pedestrians and cyclists around works areas. Please observe the directions of traffic control while passing through the area.
Please note that UNITY Alliance will close for the Christmas period from Monday 21 December 2020, recommencing Monday 4 January 2021.
Temporary traffic changes – Fairfield Road southbound slow lane
What to expect
During these works you may notice some intermittent disruptions such as:
- Light vehicles, trucks and machinery including excavators, frontend loader, vacuum truck, small power tools, drills, saws, minor vibrating equipment and mobile lighting towers to light work areas at night
- Temporary traffic changes and reduced speeds
- Changes around your local area such as construction vehicles, traffic management signs and personnel
- Some noise, vibration and dust associated with the use of heavy machinery and equipment
- Placement of temporary fencing around construction areas.
We appreciate your patience during construction and will continue to update you as work progresses.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: