Southern Tunnel Portal update - June 2021
Work within the Southern Tunnel Portal includes site establishment, relocation of services and building foundations for the new tunnel portal.
In June, we will continue:
- Site establishment works including site facilities and offices
- Excavation and earthworks
- Relocating utility services and installing drainage
- Micro-tunnelling within two construction areas on Railway Terrace and near Kent Street to install new sewer and stormwater infrastructure
- Building the foundation of the Southern Tunnel Portal by drilling piles and pouring concrete
- Removing, installing and maintaining railway infrastructure
- Rail signalling works
- Transporting construction machinery, equipment and materials to and from the work site via Kent Street and O’Keefe Street
- General construction activities
Kent Street shared use path
In May, the Kent Street shared user path was realigned, and work will now start to build a retaining wall along the southern section near Dutton Park station.
This work will include service investigations, piling, steel work and pouring concrete.
Additional changes to Kent Street are planned in mid- 2021. More information will be provided before this next stage starts.
Southern Tunnel Portal lookahead
Southern Area site office
Construction workers will start to move into the new site offices located within the Southern Area throughout June 2021.
Construction vehicles and workers will access the site office via Kent Street and O’Keefe Street.
What to expect
During works, you may notice:
- General construction activity including the use of heavy machinery
- An increase in noise and dust from construction activities
- Temporary lighting towers, directed away from residential properties
- Construction vehicles and trucks transporting equipment and materials to and from the worksite
- Temporary changed pedestrian access and traffic conditions including lane closures on Railway Terrace and near Kent Street
- Construction mitigation activities such as street sweepers, water carts and fencing installation
Construction out of hours
- Standard construction hours are between 6.30am to 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday
- Works may also be required out of hours due to construction methodology, to reduce impact to drivers and for the safety of the community and our workers.
Out-of-hours activities in June include:
- Delivery of construction machinery, concrete, equipment and materials to and from site
- Site and service investigations and utility relocation works
- 24/7 works within the rail corridor over weekend closures.
When required, additional notification for out-of-hours works will be provided.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: