Mary Street utilities connections and traffic changes - rescheduled works
From mid-February to early April 2024, temporary traffic changes on Mary Street near the main station entrance site (Lot 1) boundary will be required to construct permanent utility services for the new Albert Street station.
As part of this work there will be a partial road and footpath closure to a section of Mary Street to facilitate permanent service connection works for the new Albert Street station. Works will include:
- Earthworks and excavation adjacent to Lot 1.
- Installation of utility services.
- Removal of the Mary Street gantry.
Detours and traffic control will be in place to assist motorists and pedestrians. Access to properties will be maintained throughout the work including outside Mantra on Mary.
Work will involve use of road saws, vacuum excavation trucks, generators, compressors, excavators, haulage vehicles, lighting units and hand tools. These activities will be carried out Monday to Sunday 24-hours for the duration of the work. The road and footpath will be reinstated once the work is complete.
A section of Mary Street next to Lot 1 at the Albert Street intersection will be closed.
Vehicles travelling eastbound towards Edward Street will be diverted via George Street and Elizabeth Street. There will be no access for eastbound vehicles past the work area.
The westbound lane on Mary Street will be maintained and buses will continue to service:
- Mary Street Stop 50 near Albert Street
- Mary Street Stop 169 near Albert Street.
The footpath on Mary Street closest to the Lot 1 site will be closed and pedestrians will be diverted to the southern side of Mary Street under traffic control (see map below).
Mary street traffic changes
Saint Patrick’s Day Traffic Changes
Please be advised over the Saint Patrick’s Day weekend from Saturday 16 March to Sunday 17 March, Mary Street will reopen for eastbound and westbound traffic. Please note the pedestrian footpath closure will remain closed with a detour in place during the Saint Patrick’s Day weekend. Traffic control will be in place to assist pedestrians.
On Monday 18 March, Mary Street will return to a partial closure of the east-bound traffic lane for critical utility work to continue and one-way traffic lane arrangement whilst the team continue to conduct critical utility works.
What to expect
- Temporary vehicle and pedestrian detours
- Mary Street eastbound traffic will be diverted via George Street and Elizabeth Street towards Edward Street
- Mary Street westbound traffic will remain open
- No changes to bus services
- Work will be carried out both during the day and at night
- Increase in noise, dust, vibration and worksite lighting
- Increase in personnel carrying out works
- Construction activities pending weather and site conditions.
Every effort will be made to minimise the impact of this work on businesses, residents and commuters.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: