From midnight Friday 22 November until 6:00am Monday 25 November 2019, Roma Street eastbound between Countess and Herschel Streets will be closed and traffic detoured. This will allow delivery and assembly of the tower crane. Some lane closures will also be required for westbound traffic under traffic control.
Due to the size of the crane, it will be delivered in components (parts) and assembled on site. Works will involve:
- Delivering components of the tower crane on trucks
- Trimming vegetation along Roma Street to enable crane components to be lifted into place
- Lifting the tower crane components into place using large mobile cranes
- Assembly of the tower crane within the site using hand tools and hydraulic wrenches.
Refer below for details on the required temporary traffic, pedestrian and public transport changes and what to
expect during these works.
Traffic and pedestrian changes
The following temporary traffic and pedestrian changes will be in place at Roma Street and the surrounding area during this work:
- Closure of Roma Street eastbound between Countess and Herschel streets for general traffic. A signed detour will be in place
- Closure of the right turn from Skew Street onto Upper Roma Street
- Closure of the left turn from Countess Street onto Roma Street eastbound
- The carpark at the Brisbane Transit Centre will remain open. Access in and out will be from Roma Street westbound lanes only.
- Lane closures on sections of Roma Street westbound and George Street near the work site. Westbound traffic will be stopped intermittently for about five minutes during the works.
- The Roma Street pedestrian bridge will remain open
- Closure of the northern footpath on Roma Street (alongside the worksite) between Makerston Street and Parkland Boulevard. Pedestrians will be detoured to the footpath on the other side of Roma Street.
Public transport changes
The following changes to public transport services will be in place during the works:
- Closure of bus stop 125 and 124 on Roma Street. Bus services will temporarily stop at the Roma Street busway station
- Regular bus services will continue to operate from bus stops on Roma Street westbound
- Access to Roma Street station (rail and buses) will be maintained
Traffic control and signage will be implemented to assist motorists, pedestrians and public transport users through these temporary changes.
Due to traffic restrictions and to maintain the safety of the community and our workers, works will occur continuously from midnight Friday 22 November to 6:00am Monday 25 November 2019.
Workers may arrive onsite one hour prior to the planned start time to prepare for the day’s activities.
What to expect
As a result of these works you can expect:
- An increase in construction workers and vehicles in the area
- Use of construction machinery and equipment including large mobile cranes, hand tools, hydraulic wrenches, chainsaws, elevated work platforms, lighting towers, trucks, light vehicles and traffic control
- A potential increase in noise if you are a nearby business or resident. These impacts will be reduced as much as possible
- Traffic delays. Please plan your journey and allow additional time if travelling through the area
- Work is subject to relevant approvals and suitable weather conditions.
- Should these works be postponed, they will be rescheduled to occur from midnight Friday 6 December until 6:00am Monday 9 December 2019.
Every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum for residents and businesses in close proximity to the works.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: