Roma Street footbridge demolition weekend work and traffic changes
The Roma Street footbridge is being demolished to enable construction of Cross River Rail. To safely demolish the bridge, weekend work and traffic changes are required.
From 7:00pm Friday 27 March until 5:00am Monday 30 March 2020, Roma Street will be closed in both directions between Parkland Boulevard and George Street. A signed traffic detour will be in place.
Activities undertaken over this weekend will involve:
- Setting up temporary traffic and pedestrian management
- Installing protection measures on adjacent roads, footpaths and other infrastructure prior to demolition
- Demolishing the bridge in stages using concrete cutters and large excavators with hammer and pulveriser attachments
- Removing the awning on front of the East Tower and main entrance into the Brisbane Transit Centre
- Removing demolition waste using loaders and trucks
- Installing overhead protection gantries along the northern footpath of Roma Street opposite Herschel Street.
This work is expected to be noisy. Every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum for nearby residents and businesses.
Traffic, pedestrian and public transport changes
The following temporary changes will be in place during this work:
- Roma Street eastbound between Countess Street and Parkland Boulevard closed and signed detour in place
- Roma Street westbound between Parkland Boulevard and George Street closed and signed detour in place
- Local traffic only permitted on Roma Street between Turbot Street and Parkland Boulevard
- Lane closures and reduced speed limit on streets surrounding the work area
- Footpaths on Roma, Herschel and George streets near the work area closed and signed detours in place
- Bus stops 124 and 125 on Roma Street will be temporarily closed. Plan your journey at translink.com.au or via the MyTranslink app
- Access to Roma Street rail and busway station will be maintained.
Refer to the map below for more details of these temporary changes and detour routes.
Traffic control and signage will be in place to assist the community through these changes. Access to properties will be maintained.
Please plan your journey and allow additional time if travelling through the area over this weekend.
Due to traffic restrictions and to maintain the safety of the community and workers, the work will occur continuously from 7:00pm Friday 27 March until 5:00am Monday 30 March 2020. The actual demolition of the bridge is expected to occur between 6:30am and 6:30pm on Saturday and Sunday.
What to expect
As a result of this work, you can expect:
- An increase in construction workers and vehicles in the area
- Use of construction machinery and equipment including large excavators, loaders, truck, concrete saws, lighting towers, light vehicles and traffic control
- An increase in noise if you are a nearby business or resident. These impacts will be reduced as much as possible
- Traffic delays. Please plan your journey and allow additional time if travelling through the area.
Every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum for residents and businesses in close proximity to the works.
Work is subject to relevant approvals and suitable weather conditions.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: