From mid-January 2020, the Cross River Rail Tunnel & Stations contractor will begin piling activities at Boggo Road.
Site establishment continues
Piling is used to create a solid foundation where deep excavation is required, in this case to form the station box for the
Boggo Road underground station.
Details of work
Piling work will be carried out during normal day time construction hours between 6.30am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday. Some work may be required at night due to traffic restrictions and to maintain the safety of the community and our workers. This includes out-of-hours deliveries of oversized machinery and pile reinforcement cages. We will notify nearby residents of any requirement for night works.
What is piling?
At Boggo Road, a bored piling method will be used. Bored piling involves:
- Drilling a hole into the ground with purpose-built piling rigs
- Installing a steel reinforcing cage in the hole and filling the hole with concrete to form a pile
- Breaking back the top of the piles to the required length using jackhammers
- Linking the tops of the piles with a concrete beam to hold them in place and provide greater stability.
What to expect
- Workers may arrive onsite one hour prior to the planned start time to prepare for the day’s activities
- Bored piling generates less noise than other piling methods however there will be increased noise levels when removing the top of the piles (using breaker or hammer attachments)
- Increased levels of localised noise and dust from the use of machinery and equipment. These impacts will be reduced as much as possible
- Increased construction vehicle movements including concrete deliveries and trucks removing excavated spoil from
the work site
- Minor traffic delays. Traffic control officers will be in place where required to maintain the safety of road users, the
community and workers.
Temporary traffic changes on Joe Baker Street
As we progress piling, there will be traffic and access changes required at the Boggo Road end of Joe Baker Street. Joe Baker Street will temporarily become one-way to traffic. More details about will be provided prior to these works starting.
Every effort will be made to keep disruption to a minimum for residents and businesses in close proximity to the project site. We appreciate your patience during construction and will continue to update you as work progresses. If you have questions at any time you can call 1800 010 875 to speak to a member of the Cross River Rail Tunnel and Stations contractor team.
If you want to know more, all of this information is available in PDF form: